Do impact and hammer drills have the same major functions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've read a lot of informative posts here and got a good understanding of the various types of tools. Thanks to all the posters!

I have practical knowledge of normal drills and theoretical knowledge of impact and hammer drills. But I couldn't get any satisfactory clarifications on the following doubts... I've looked in tool manuals and online product descriptions, though:

1) The term "impact drill" is used in conjunction with "driver drills"? Or the terms 'hammer' and 'impact' are used synonymously?

2) Based on the answer to previous question, can hammer drills (with chisel function) be used for driving-in screws?

I was about to buy a drill for small household jobs and I got confused with various terms, as I stumbled upon a vast array of tools available in the market. My work consists of 40% masonry drilling, 30% wood drilling, 20% screw-driving and 10% (occasional) steel drilling.

My problem is that I don't know if a hammer drill can function as a screwdriver as well? We don't have all the versions available here and the dealers are also not that helpful.

I am destructive by nature so, I'd like to go with the driver function on "impact driver/drill" rather than chisel function on "hammer drill" - if these are two physically different drills.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
If you are thinking of cordless drills with a hammer action then yes thay can be used for screw driving

Mains drills can be used for screw driving if they have a low speed setting and/or a clutch as other wise they go too fast for screw driving, and are too unwieldy to use for screw driving. Same for some of the larger cordless drills

In the UK all hammer drills are termed impact drills, but to divide these into the two types they are then termed 'rotary' or 'pneumatic' hammer/impact drills for SDS types and 'percussion' hammer/impact for non-SDS drills

If you are doing any significant amount of screw driving, then a lighter, smaller cordless would be better. If doing 50/50 drill driving then a bigger cordless, if drilling more than driving then a mains drill, and if drilling mainly masonry or concrete then and SDS mains

Mains drills can be used for screw driving if they have a low speed setting and/or a clutch as other wise they go too fast for screw driving, and are too unwieldy to use for screw driving. Same for some of the larger cordless drills

In the UK all hammer drills are termed impact drills, but to divide these into the two types they are then termed 'rotary' or 'pneumatic' hammer/impact drills for SDS types and 'percussion' hammer/impact for non-SDS drills

Thanks for all the information! I never delved deep into SDS thing.

I wanted to buy a cordless Li-ion version but in India, there are only few such drills available - only 2 or 3 models for each brand. But yes, as you've mentioned, all those cordless versions specifically say that they can act as screwdrivers. thanks!

Sponsored Links
impact driver hex drive for heavy screwing but can hex drill but not overly accurate impact in a rotary motion
percussion or hammer a different beast for drilling into masonry or walls in a back and forth action

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back