Is my hammer drill broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Ive got a proper newbie question.

I'm currently using a chisel bit with Dewalt SDS Hammer drill (D25113) to chase out some breeze block and it doesn't seem to always be working the same way. I think its broken but I just wanna make sure I'm not being stupid and using it incorrectly!

Sometimes, the chisel moves back and forth like a pneumatic drill which is when it works best then sometimes it will stop making this motion but I can still here the motor working the hammer action and the chisel just sort of vibrates pretty uselessly. The only way to get the chisel to work properly again is to press it really hard against the wall and eventually the chisel starts moving properly again but I'm having to apply so much pressure that when it kicks in, it just skims across the wall taking several chunks out of it along the way.

Its less than 6 months old and this is the first time I've used the hammer function. I use the rotary hammer action to drill through brick and this seems to work fine.

Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not to worry,

Found another post about an intermittent hammer function fault on a DeWalt SDS Power drill so looks like it just needs to go back for an exchange.

Oooh a DeWalt power tool has broken down...now there's a surprise :LOL: :LOL: :evil:

Should have gone for a decent make, buy Bosch next time

Sponsored Links
I have a dewalt SDS drill - got it from screwfix on offer for £79 in 2007, and it has had some stick and is still going strong

The recent DeWalt tools ive seen are not of the same quality as the older tools from when they replaced the Elu range.
Seem to be making cheap plastic crap for the DIY sheds to churn out at low prices.
Ive recently replaced my old dewalt 18volt combi with a Makita seems to be better quality than the recent dewalt offerings.

I bought a dewalt sds drill about 13 years ago when i started my apprenticeship and it stood up to ten years of hard trade use until the hammer function finally packed in.

I bought another one to replace it and you could tell straight away the build quality was no where near the same. The clutch failed after 2 months and since then I've bought makita or bosch blue and they are great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back