drill stops hammering sometimes and grease, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I bought one of those fairly cheap drills that seem to be a lot of body for little money and they do drill stop for chiseling too. I realise that if they are cheap they wont perform miracles but it did seem to be a very good drill for the money so far.

It is an unknown make, Star Tools STT 3051 which is difficult to google anything on.

If I keep using it for say an hour on drill stop chiseling it seems to give up on the hammering after a while and then the next day it will work fine, any ideas whats happening, do I have to do anything or can I do anything to make it last, I know its cheap but I don't want to wreck it when it does such a good job most of the time?

Also a common question I'm sure but one that I cannot find a straight answer on, it comes with a tub of grease so what is this for, I looked all over the drill for special removable openings and then googled grease on drills. The most obvious is it is to put on the chisel bit before inserting it but some people even say crazy things like put it on the end of the chisel, the bit that's doing the work to make it chisel easier. I think that would stay on there about 10 seconds and do nothing but that is what some people have advised.

The most common answer is to put it on the SDS end of the chisel that goes into the drill and some complain that the grease ruins the rubber seal as they push it in as it rots it or something like that but I cannot see what a bit of grease on the end will do anyway, is that what the grease is for and if so how much would you bother doing it, ie should it always be heavily greased and how does it help?

I don't see how but will the grease help the problem I am having of the hammering action weakening after continuous periods of hammering, I do give the drill rests to cool, its not constant hammering for 1 hour solid but obviously it does get worked fairly hard sometimes?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's got an overheat device to stop it getting damaged, and yes the grease is for the drill end of the bit.

Cheers guys, yes I have my instruction book for what it is worth, it is not great, it does mention to put grease on the end of the SDS bit that goes into the drill but it also has this circular bit on top of the drill that looks like it could be something you open with a special tool (bit like the tool you use on a grinder to tighter the disks) and nothing is mentioned about that in the instructions.

I imagine that would give access to the gearbox so i wonder is the grease in the tub ok for that.

Also I wonder what does putting grease on the end of an SDS bit (the end that goes in the drill of course) do, any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back