Einhell SDS+ rotary hammer engages intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Einhell BT-RH 1500 Rotary hammer drill. It has a pneumatic hammer action. Lately, the hammer action engages intermittently. Sometimes, it works, but most of the time it doesn't.

The problem appeared after I used it to break a 15 feet x 3 feet concrete slab about 4 inches thick. The tiny steel balls that hold the drill bit in place broke and the chisel bit would fall off repeatedly. I also wasn't aware that I needed to grease the drill bit before inserting it into the chuck. So the grease pretty much dried up at the end of my DIY.

Subsequently, I replaced the steel balls, cleaned up the part where the drill bit sits and re-applied the grease. Now the mechanism holding the drill bit in place works perfectly, but the hammer action is not engaging most of the time. I took the drill apart to see if I could locate the problem. When I couldn't, I just reassembled everything.

The only possibility that comes to mind is a broken O-ring, that could possibly be causing an air leak in the chamber in which the piston moves. I think the compressed air that is supposed to push the striker is escaping from the broken O-ring and not enough pressure is being generated to push the striker and make it hit the drill bit. I am going to replace the O-ring and see if it fixes the problem. The image below is an illustrated breakdown of the drill components. Part No 35 is the broken O-ring.

In the meantime, I would appreciate some feedback regarding this problem and look forward to some suggestions to fix it.

o9ek9d.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back