SDS vs hammer drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd do this post for the benefit of diyers who have not used an SDS drill.

Like most people I have a rechargeable hammer drill. Mine's a middle-range one, 18V lithium, so can handle most jobs with relative ease. It is light and convenient so I always use it first.

Over the weekend I had to put something big up on a wall and needed to drill 10 holes for plugs. With my drill on hammer mode I did 7 of the holes with ease - a plaster layer over concrete block no problem. But not so for the other 3 holes - through the plaster layer and then no further. By inspection of the location (near a dormer window) it was clear that there is a joist just above this location so it made sense that there should be an engineering block where I was trying to drill.

Nevertheless I thought I'd have a go and see if I could drill through with my hammer drill. Maximum speed with a hefty amount of pressure for 30 seconds or so - I got a few mm deeper. So I continued for another 30 seconds or so - no deeper at all.

Oh well - time to get the SDS drill out. My reluctance was (as experienced readers know) the simple fact that in comparison to my light hammer drill, the SDS is a beast. Mine is 6kg, so using one-handed is simply not an option. Also it has a grease chamber (I assume they all do?) and some of this gets smeared on the bit, so I seem to always get some on my hands every time I use it.

So now to drilling those 3 holes. Done in seconds. The overused phrase "like a knife through butter" came to mind.

So if you are reading this post after searching about the benefit of an SDS drill over a standard hammer drill then be assured - if your hammer drill is struggling on a tough job - you need an SDS drill.

Sponsored Links
How much elec. power does your SDS drill consume? It should be listed on the nameplate.

I have similar data for how much hp it takes to drill a well of X feet depth.

How much elec. power does your SDS drill consume? It should be listed on the nameplate.

I have similar data for how much hp it takes to drill a well of X feet depth.

It's not as simple as how much power it draws.

Sponsored Links
And the impacts per second along with the force of each impact, which both depend on the power drawn, affects how fast you can work the material.

For sure a line powered tool can deliver more power to the workpiece than a battery tool, and more so for a pneumatic tool. It also seems to be way more difficult to determine the power delivered for this last two options.

And the impacts per second along with the force of each impact, which both depend on the power drawn, affects how fast you can work the material.

And you've got some magic formula to determine the size of the hammer and the gear ratios just from the power drawn?

No, but the power tool makers do.
Removing/machining material takes energy and if you want it done quickly it takes power. hp = torque x speed.

BTW, all my tools are corded. More power is available and almost unlimited energy is available.
I would go with pneumatic tools but I don't have the room for the compressor.

I have both 110V and battery SDS drills. They are both as powerful as each other, but sometimes I have loads of drilling to do and don't want to faff about with batteries. Sometimes I only have a couple of holes and don't want to faff about with trannies and extentions, or there's no mains available.

I only use my 110V drill on site as there's always some 110V power knocking about somewhere, and it's a nightmare and often a half a mile walk to find some 230V mains for the battery charger.

Joules per second = Watts

Volts x amps = Watts

Torque x speed = Watts. Good, eh?

Sometimes I love physics! :D

But for a machine with multiple components, you can't work out how good each one is from the overall power consumption.

But for a machine with multiple components, you can't work out how good each one is from the overall power consumption.
One overall quality factor would be power/energy into the tool vs. useful power/energy delivered to the workpiece, assuming equally sharp drill bits, chisels, etc..
The useful tool output can be gauged by how fast it modifies the workpiece in the way that you want it to.

One overall quality factor would be power/energy into the tool vs. useful power/energy delivered to the workpiece, assuming equally sharp drill bits, chisels, etc..
The useful tool output can be gauged by how fast it modifies the workpiece in the way that you want it to.

Can we have a forum section for people wishing to state the obvious?

I know it will be excruciatingly dull but at least it will satisfy some members.

A joule is a watt second, a measure of energy,therefore joules do not equal watts as such,since watts is a unit of electrical power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back