Drill Overkill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved home into a place with newly renovated dot and dab walls. The hammer action on my old Bosch corded drill doesn't seem to be working anymore. Took me ages to drill a hole. So I started using my SDS drill, but getting cracks on plaster and holes too big etc, even on slow setting. Is it that using an SDS is like using a sledgehammer to hammer a nail? Is an SDS drill big time overkill and shouldn't be used on normal every day drilling? And how would I know that my old drill has definitely drilled its last? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Is an SDS drill big time overkill and shouldn't be used on normal every day drilling?

No, not really, I use an SDS on thermalite blocks sometimes at work, when speed is of the essence and making noise doesn't matter. Sounds more like you could do with some new, good quality bits. Get a Heller Bionic SDS bit or a Dewalt Extreme 2 SDS and try again.

Any advice?

Percussive hammer drills, IMHO, are completely pointless. Some really nice bits (the bullet ones)...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232741048981

...will go through pretty much anything, even hard, really old red brick, without using the hammer function. Ideally in a drill with a high RPM. I am yet to find a wall where a percussive hammer drilll works better than those bits above on non hammer. If they can't drill it, then it's SDS time regardless, hence why I say they are pointless.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
newly renovated dot and dab walls.

Oh, and I'm surprised you can crack plaster on what can only be a thin skim. Put the drill on non-SDS to go through the skim and plasterboard, then switch on the rotary hammer function when you meet either the adhesive dot or the actual brickwork.

Thanks rsgaz. It's quite a new SDS - in fact never used the bits before (only the chisel) so I wouldn't have thought it'd be a problem with them. I'll try non-SDS through the plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Thanks rsgaz. It's quite a new SDS - in fact never used the bits before (only the chisel) so I wouldn't have thought it'd be a problem with them. I'll try non-SDS through the plasterboard
You did turn the rotation stop off?

Drill through the board first with roto-stop or your old drill. Don't rattle the boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back