SDS+ drill reccomendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not quite "another one" of those threads.

looking to buy an SDS+ drill, main domestic sparky duties, chasing out etc, not removing walls, and a bit oh hammer drill action when the battery hammer just isnt up to it.

searched and bosch blue seems to come out on top, with comments of being very expensive??

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...er-drill-230v/path/sds-sds-and-sds-max-drills looking at this one, would it class as a bosch blue?
Im used to using a dewalt with a 2.2Joule action, this has 3 so should be up to the hard stuff, was looking to pay around £150, absolute max of £200 but like my other post looking for tools that will last.
they also have this one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...er-drill-230v/path/sds-sds-and-sds-max-drills which looks abit light weight for proper use?

any idea/experience of these??

Sponsored Links
The 2-26DRE is their top of the range 2kg drill. It should be ideal for your purposes. The 2-18 and 2-23 lack a rotary stop for chiseling.

You should be able to find it cheaper than that, I've seen them for £120 before.

i have the 2-26dre and it's great. plenty of guts for anything. I save it though and use a semi-dispoable cheapo for the chiselling as that's what reduces their life considerably.

I got it for 125 from a local tool wholesaler. If your uses required it he dfr version with the quick change chuck would be very useful. But really it is at least 40-50 quid extra i think.

The bosch one is ace. Weve got one at work that is so battered and abused you wouldn't beleive it but it still keeps on going!

Stay away from DeWalt. They've decided price is more important than quality these days.

If you can wait, save up and buy a battery SDS drill and I swear you'll never look back.

Sponsored Links
Go for the GBH2-26DFR with the interchangeable chuck, it's well worth paying the extra for that IMHO. Having said that, I don't own one as I've done what RF suggests and gone cordless. I have the Bosch 36 volt SDS GBH36VFLI, which has to same features as the DFR. Also, by Bosch's own admission, it actually drills a 26mm hole in masonry FASTER than the 2-26 does (there used to be a video of this on their website, don't know whether it's still there). Is also rated to accept cores up to 68mm.

Sitebox seem to be the best price on t'internet at the moment, it's waaaaaaaay over your original budget but I really would recommend doing a bit more saving and buying it. https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/GBH36VFLI/bosch-36-volt-gbh-36vfli-sds-plus-hammer-drill/

I'm a long-time Bosch Blue fan, their stuff seems to be very well built and is backed by a fantastic warranty - three years with a five-day collection-to-return repair service should anything go wrong.

hmm, might find somewhere to go have a look at the battery ones, my concern with them is the weight of the things, a decent size 240V SDS weights enough, at 4.5Kgs, that Bosch one seems heavy.

Thanks for the heads up on dewalt, the one I use is about 10 years old,and still going strong, must be one of the good uns!!

I think ?I will go have a look, I still have access to the dewalt (my dads and hes semi retired) so its not a huge rush at the moment, if the battery ones really are that much better, I might wait (its christmas soon!!)

It's less a case of being better (Bosch do 3kg and larger mains powered drills which will make a cordless look slow), and more a case of being vastly more convenient. Especially if you want to do site work (lugging around 110V transformers isn't fun).

Buy Bosch blue.

If i were rich i would consider Hilti but i have to settle for Bb. Hilti are for the industrial boys.

Forget all the other pretenders.

Forget DeWalt, they aren't even in the same league as the pretenders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back