User malfunction? SDS+ drill not hammering

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a giant SDS+ cheapo Titan drill. I hardly every use it, and perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I need to drill some new bolt-holes in reinforced concrete fence spurs, because the old bolts have rusted, broken and swollen so I cannot drive them out.

I started drilling from the fence side, and seemed to progress well for a short distance, then the rubber cone over the chuck started to ride on the woodwork, loosening the bit, so I went round and tried from the other side. I made no more than a dimple. The drill does not seem to be hammering. I can feel a vibration, but the bit does not seem to be bashing.

The is a lever on the side hammer drill/hammer only, and one on the back hammer drill/drill only; and I have set them both to hammer drill. I tried setting to hammer only, and there was no hammering action.

I have pushed bit into the chuck until it locks.

Could I be doing something wrong? Or is the machine junked?

Sponsored Links
problem now solved.

for the benefit of any future users with SDS+ drill not hammering:

As expected, it was user error.

Luckily I found the instructions, which had fallen to the bottom of the carton.

I had been pressing the bits into the chuck until they seemed locked.

however I had omitted to pull the collar of the chuck towards me while pressing the bits in.

Doing that allowed them to go in deeper, and lock correctly.

Hammer action now working.

£60 saved.

Good, after you and me bigging them up,we'd have looked daft:).
2/3 years ago i had some breaking out to do and didn't want to use my shiny new Makita SDS,so bought one of these for 1 job, and it just kept going till about 3 months ago,and it was abused,must have lent it out around 8 times too,and i still have a shiny Makita SDS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back