SDS Drills can you easily break them to stop them spinning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up a couple of cheap SDS drills, only because they were cheap!

They seem OK, Bosch GBH 24 VRE's

But they don't have a rotary stop function, is there an easy way to disable the spinning whilst retaining the hammer action so I can use them as a chisel?

I've seen a little addon which goes on the front, but it costs more than both the drills!

My idea was to open one up and snip a wire going to the motor or something similar, I'd then have one for chiselling and one for drilling - is it likely to work? Or is there an easier way etc?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A cordless isn't likely to do you so well for chiseling, and I don't think they run two separate motors, so unless you fancy playing with the gearbox.. You'd also need to work out a rotary lock as well.

Thanks for the reply,

I found an exploded diagram, which confirms there is only one motor, any idea if it shows if the rotary part could be stopped in any way?

As I said, you'd have to muck with the gearbox, which is likely not worth the effort.

Sponsored Links
btw, if that're that cheap and you don't need both.. What d'you want for the spare? :p

btw, if that're that cheap and you don't need both.. What d'you want for the spare? :p

Well they were very cheap but it looks like they were 'too cheap'!

One was a Bosch GBH 24 VRE as expected, which appears to work very well, the other is an older Bosch GBH 24 VR which has a flat battery. Neither of the chargers appears to work even though I was assured that the newer charger worked :rolleyes:

Both drill should work so it's just a case of charging the 24v batteries :rolleyes:

Try cleaning the chargers. A mate of mine picked one of those up for free recently because the moronic builder drilled holes over the case and got the charger filled up with masonry dust. Takes about 10 minutes to blow it all out and file the contacts clean..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back