SDS Drill Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope you can throw some light on my problem..

Some history, Electrical engineer 40+ years, mostly domestic, but some 3 phase factories too. Over the years I’ve don’t a lot of drilling :) and mostly used black and Dekker pro electric drills. Anyway I no longer work, and it’s been about 10 years since I did any commercial work.

I’m trying to drill a concrete lintel in my house, I’ve lived here 35 years + and each room as a wooden batten fixed just above the window, where curtain rail is fixed to. In one room the batten was removed, when some new double glazing was fitted, and the wall above needed plastering.

So I’m trying to fit this wooden batten back, but have been to hell and back trying to drill it. I gave up with my black and Dekker hammer drill, and so embarked on buying a new SDS drill.

I bought a draper 1020W 5.5Kg SDS hammer drill (£70) via Amazon, it can also chisel, comes with 3 drill bits. Anyway it didn’t drill this lintel at all, it seems to be able to drill ½ inch then takes forever and a day to move in, I gave up after about ¾ inch.

Convinced the drill must be faulty, I had Amazon pick it up, and got a refund..

I rang draper, told them my thoughts, I also told them I had tested out the chisel on some concrete in the garden, and it had no effect, just a vibration. They said sounds like I was unlucky, told me to pop into Wickes and ask for a demo of one. Health and Safety, they wouldn’t test one for me, but said I could return it, if I’m not happy, so I bought the same drill with a Wickes badge on it, supplied by draper tools.

Again I tried to drill this lintel, and again it didn’t do much at all, and again I fitted the chisel and tried it out on some concrete, and other than a scratch ☺ it didn’t pound it up at all.

What’s going on, am I not using it correctly, the settings are clear, hammer and rotation..

Going back 10 years I used a hiltie SDS, but those days just drilling a 6mm hols to hold sockets, can’t say if the drill then was go or not.

Surly 2 drills can’t be faulty, Am I expecting too much ? after all this is only re-enforced concrete, and I’m not near any metal, I checked

• Hammer and rotary drilling actions
• Rotation stop for chiselling
• Supplied with 3 SDS+ drill bits and 2 SDS+ chisel bits
• SDS+ chuck
• Drilling capacities: concrete/masonry 30mm, steel 13mm, wood 40mm
• No load speed 0-800rpm
• Impact rate 3000b/min
• Weight 5.5kg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Corded/6kg-SDS-Plus-1020W-Hammer-Drill/invt/186869

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-4168...ef=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1235087079&sr=8-6

Specification:
Drilling capacities:
Mild Steel ... 13mm
Wood ... 40mm
Masonry ... 32mm
Speed (no load) ... 800r/min
Blows per minute ... 3200 max.
Blows (energy) ... 5 joules
Weight ... 5.5kg

Sponsored Links
That 5.5KG SDS drill shouldnt have any trouble drilling into a lintel like that. Could be that particular drill could be naff. I'm assuming you have already used the smallest bit you could find first to drill into this particular lintel?

Sometime I find my Makita SDS doesnt fully engage the SDS pneumatic function until I force the bit firm in the wall, There is a distinct feeling when it engages.

With all SDS drills, you must apply a reasonable pressure as the mechanism works against a spring. If you do not do this, the percussion mechanism will have no effect.

HTH...

Frank

get a set of decent SDS drill bits not your everday masonry cr*p from B&Q but the type with a shaped head they are great for this type of job use 5mm then 7mm and then the size you need if bigger

Sponsored Links
Hi, ever thought it may be a catnic steel lintel. Try drilling down to where your drilling stops the try a HSS drill, if this does the job then use self tapping screws to attach your batten.

Thanks, Update

I took the drill back for a refund... darn, as I ended up paying £41 special offer + 10% because they messed me about..

But no use at all...

I used the drill bits that came with it, while I admit I didnt take much care when fitting, I think its foolprof, as it would just slip if not fitted right. I realised this bits are cheap, but I would expect them to drill a few holes before being no use. I would have bought better later.

Forget the drilling for a moment.... I fitted a pointy chisel to both drills and gave that a try, other than a dimple made by the point, it didnt do any chiseling at all !

When drilling, the chuck will move in and out about an inch or so, and so I pressed very hard at first, then came back a bit, none had any effect.

I went along to Homebase next, forget the make they have, looks about the same as I had with the other 2, same 800RPM etc, and explained my problem. While the manager was happy to do a price match, he said he didnt think this drill would be any better...

So now Im drilless, and a bit lost as to why these 1020W 800Rpm 5.5Kg SDS drills and just not working.

Both times I got a rumble, and I have drilled holes in normal concreate, using the supplied 6mm drill, Im expecting these drills to bang hard, but they are not.. The only thing I can think of, is these drills will drill up to 32mm in concreate, my BaD wont (without smoke) but they just no use for hard stuff (Power is 5J)

So for now I have given up, will use a longer battern and drill both sides, with just some nomorenails in the middle.

Just dont know the problem
(It is concreate, no metal) house is 50 years old

P.S Rang Draper again, he said im expecting too much ??? went through all the settings with him (must think im stupid) . In the end he said sorry cant help anymore...

Have a look at http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-SDS+-Hammer-Drills-206947.htm

The cheapest professional drill is twice what you have paid and failed with.

I've got a similar to the more expensive Bosch drills that I paid almost £200 for about 4 years ago. If the cheapo ones were up to the job i would have bought one. With a lot of power tools you can get away with buying cheap but not drills as far as I'm concerned.

i agree ive got a gbh bosch drill with the rotary stop,ive had this 1 for about 3-4 years now think it cost about £130,it replaced my old 1 which was over 10 years old and that cost £350 when it 1st came out,stop wasting your time on cheap rubbish buy something thats good look after it and it will last you a long time.
otherwise buy a concret breaker and a cheap drill.

you can probably pick up a good makita/dewalt SDS with rotation stop for less than £150. B&Q have a dewalt SDS and 12v drill driver for £80 but it doesnt have rotation stop.

I disagree, I think when it comes to SDS drills/Light breaker, a shed branded 6Kg drill will do you proud for the price. I am very tempted to buy the Titan 6Kg from SF which is selling for about 40 notes. I don't want to use my more expensive Makita 2450 for Chiselling and the Titan will be man enough for the breaking...

I use a £40 Argos special for chiseling and chasing. Does fine for that and saves wear and tear on my cordless Bosch. Wouldn't fancy using the Argos for drilling though. No safety clutch and it eats grease!

Well...

I got someone with a 24V Bosch, and had a laugh when he came to drill the hole, I said he didnt stand any chance, more so using a 24V.

It took him no time at all!!

4 holes drilled within a min or so, it went in like butter....

So this lintal wasnt the tough lintal I thought that could not be drilled, as soon as he started drilling I heard the SDS, and thought this was the sound I remember from my Hilti days.

So those draper/wickes 1025 W drills are total rubbish..

Off to buy a Bosch 24V :)

could you buy me 1 aswell plz,its defo goner cost you a bit more then the £70 you first invested but if looked after should last you an age.

gregers";p="1161274 said:
could you buy me 1 aswell plz,its defo goner cost you a bit more then the £70 you first invested but if looked after should last you an age.[/quot

Exactly, if you can buy a Bosch 24v for £70 I will have one as well.

Just a quick word in defence of Wickes tools , there are about 4 grades of power tools in Wickes, the cheaper ones are cheap but the more expensive are good quality and should not be dismissed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back