Hanging Tools in - Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to organise my tools and hang them in the garage for ease of access.

The walls are bog standard concrete block and I don't know whether it is worth putting lots of holes/screws into the blocks to hang the tools, or whether I should put a couple of battens and some board and fix them to this.

Would be grateful if anyone has any good ideas/solutions/tips for organising their tools in a garage.

Many thanks for any ideas,

Damian

Sponsored Links
battens fixed best idea.

then when you re organise or get a new tool you dont end up with whatits name cheese instead of a wall (but you do end up with whatis name cheese batten, but its easier to change a batten than the wall)

drilling lots of holes in the wall will be tedious and dusty, especially when you want to add something in a different size/shape.

For light stuff you can use Pegboard (hardboard with lots of holes in in, as found in old-fashioned shops).

I prefer the battens idea. You can put cup hooks or pegs in easily enough.

If you have a lot of heavy stuff, Spur Slotted shelving system is good. You can put narrow or wide shelves on it too, or hanging rails. It is very strong and there are various attachments to fit.

Beware of nails or hooks sticking out of the wall that you will knock into or brush past and injure yourself/tear clothes on.

Edited, bah, too late.

Emmental.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies - what about a few battens with perhaps a Fermacell board fixed to it to give the tools something to lean against. Or is this overkill.

You would have the same problem though with lots of holes if you ever changed tools.

Thanks again,

Damian

Sponsored Links
the simple answer is no single method will be ideal for all tools youll need a selection of methods for storage

trial and error will tell exactly what amount of what system will do it

you as said above will need to plan where you put things so they dont cause a hazard if you turn round ot move up sharply ect

rather than loads of holes get some strips of 12mmx25mm ply cut some 1" spacers from the ply
2parralel bits with a spacer every foot or so with a securing screw through at these points [so you now have a storage system 1.5 " wide]
this will allow tight storage for anything with a blade [chisels screwdrivers paint scrapers ect

in other areas you can install pairs of dowels slightly angled up to accomodate open ended spanners individualy or in half sets likewise a single dowel can be used for ring spanners circular blades or discs

here is some of the bulkier storage solutions in my shed

if you look above the big window there is a storage shelve using the triangular space normaly wasted the space below now has a shelve at the top of the window where the chargers are and the space between the 2 sockets now contains 3 chargers and 8 batteries

underneath the worktop is shelves to store boxed tool and battons to accomodate plastic boxes by the lip

the flip saw has storage underneath with a large tray on top to catch the sawdust and throw the offcuts in it can be 2/3 full and the saw will still flip[convert to chop saw mitre mode]

the small router thats mounted in the workmate has a box underneath for catching the dust it also now has a dw712 pull saw that lives there with 4 holes in the router table [board] for the rubber feet to locate in

the workshop is now more than 2 years old and modifications are taking place on a regular basis
the pictures are the summer before last so things are quite different although all structural components are the same or added to quite a bit of tweaking has taken place :D :D ;)

Thanks big-all. :evil:

Regarding your first picture, I can't say that I approve.

I have loads of similar plastic containers, and for years I have subscribed to the "stack em on top of each other" storage method, and have been content to spend half my life lifting and replacing the top boxes to get at the bottom one - which always contains what I was looking for.

Now I am left to use up the next bank holiday making a similar rack - when I should be vegitating instead. :rolleyes:

I also noticed on another forum, a similar thing for storing power tool boxes , and I regret reading that too.

Damn you all :evil:

dont bother with any of it. in a couple of months theyll all be buried under each other on the workbench, with the tools you always use out on top and the stuff you never use buried away gathering dust. then youll forget about them and go and buy another one.............OH WHY CANT I KEEP MY BLOODY SHED TIDY!!!!! :evil:

Thermo said:
dont bother with any of it. in a couple of months theyll all be buried under each other on the workbench, with the tools you always use out on top and the stuff you never use buried away gathering dust. then youll forget about them and go and buy another one.............OH WHY CANT I KEEP MY b****y SHED TIDY!!!!! :evil:

yep i agree with most comments :D :D ;)

It's not just me then :p

Not putting tools back, and not being able to find them when I need them is a particlarly annoying trait of mine - no matter how organised my garage is.

It's alright having walls full of hooks and hangers, and shelves and drawers and racks - but it comes to nothing if you forget to use them :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back