Kitchen drains not airtight, new plumbing required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new kitchen sink but used the existing plumbing, unfortunately due to the slight difference in location of the plug holes I've been unable to get a perfect seal on some of the plumbing joints (despite my best efforts!).

I've used some external leak sealer which has successfully stopped what were minor droplets, however the kitchen cupboard now stinks and I really want it fixed.

This was never an issue, so I can only assume that although now watertight the trains must not be airtight hence the smell. I've tried the usual bleach, chemical cleaners etc but they are not a lasting solution.

I think the next step is to get a plumber in to replace the entire piping, but before I do does anyone have any alternatives?

Also lastly is it possible have the washing machine waste after the trap? That would stop the smells coming up from the plug hole at least.

Cheers

View media item 81026

Sponsored Links
The washing machine connection needs to be before the trap - if not then the foul gas will fill your washing machine.

Looks to me as if the washing machine connects to the same side of the U bend as the sink does though it is above the level of the the trap so stinky washing machine discharge comes out your sink.

The washing machine connection needs to be before the trap - if not then the foul gas will fill your washing machine.

Ah I see! So the lesser of two evils is to have the washing machine before the trap, as it currently is?

I just had a brainwave, given half of the pipe work is solvent welded I can just keep that and replace the bits that aren't.

Seems obvious really but I am a novice, in the words of Top Gear, how hard can it be?

Sponsored Links
It could be that one trap is being syphoned by the other,

my solution would be to fit a sink & half kit with one trap to cover both sinks.

Hi,
I appreciate that but I never had the issue until I fitted the new sink and moved the pipes round a bit.

I think I'm going to replace the plumbing on the right hand side with solvent weld type (and a new trap) and see how that goes.

Smells coming up through the plug hole are rarely an issue.

Did you dismantle the white mutifit coupling, when you altered the pipework

And fit the seals to the pipe or did you just push it back together

Read again and try to answer the question did you fit the seals on the pipe, before you assembled it or did you just push them back in

It was a few months ago but if I recall I just pushed the brown pipe back in, this was because the new sink is slightly higher than the old one and so the brown pipe isn't quite long enough to make a good connection/fit correctly with the rubber seals.

Maybe worth dismantling and re assembling the compression waste joints before condemning the lot. You should put the nut, plastic O ring and rubber washer onto the end of the pipe first, then slide the fitting on, lifting the rubber washer, O ring and nut up the pipe to the fitting before tightening the nut onto the fitting. Just shoving the fitting onto the pipe (or vice versa) will displace the rubber washer and cause it to leak!

Generally I would say there is nothing wrong with the layout of the pipework.

But it does look as if some of the compression joints have not been assembled correctly with the right washers.

A washing machine should not produce bad smells although I agree that some do. It may be because an inappropriate powder is being used.

Tony

Hi all,
I replaced the compression fittings and fitted new seals to the traps which were previously a bit iffy, there is a significant improvement so thank you for the heads up.

I also thoroughly cleaned the plumbing with bleach so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back