Kitchen Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am meeting my architect in a few days and want to have a think about where everything goes in the kitchen. I have a couple of questions about the regulations that will help guide me.

Note I am having a total refurb including full house rewire.

1. For things like fridges, washers and dryers - are there regulations about distance between the appliances and the fused spur/switch?
2. Are there distance regulations for hobs and ovens?
3. Are there distance regulations for 13A sockets - e.g. from sinks, walls etc?
4. Can I have 5A lighting sockets under floor cupboards (behind the kick-boards); And above the wall cupboards - or should there just be cables for hardwiring?
5. Anything else I need to consider?

I just dont want to do a load of thinking for locations to be told I cant have what I want. I would rather do this with some knowledge and not waste people's time.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
1. Are there?
2. Only the Manufacturer's for ventilation around them.
3. It is recommended 300mm. but not a regulation.
4. Yes, you can have 5A sockets wherever you want within reason.
5. That your architect should know.

1. No.
2. No. (If you mean as per #1. There are limits on how close wiring accessories and cupboards can be to gas hobs).
3. No, but there is common sense, particularly wrt sinks.
4. Yes, but what will you be able to plug into them? There are no wall-warts made which use 5A sockets, and if you've got anything with a flying lead you may as well go straight to an FCU or flex outlet.
5a. The fact that you do not have to have isolators for your appliances if you don't want to. There are arguments in their favour, but they are not compulsory.
5b. That the need for sockets can change - you might like to consider a socket track system so that you can add/move them as required. Some makes also have USB charger units. Not cheap, but in the context of a brand new kitchen and a project involving an architect, probably not a significant expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back