KITCHEN EXTRACTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wil be fitting a new kitchen very soon and a part of that project will be a new extractor fan.
My current kitchen does have an extractor but the new fan will need to be in a different locations so, two questions;

1. What is the best method of sealing the hole(s) left by the existing fan, it vents through an outside wall.

2. What is the best equipment to use to drill a 4" hole through the internal and external walls ? Can I rent a drill rather than buy, this will be a once only use !

Regards

Peter

Sponsored Links
1. Sealing the hole depends on the construction of the wall, the finishes on the inside and the outside, and what you want to achieve.

The simple approach would be to fit a grille on the inside and leave it as a ventilator. Or you could fit a piece of plasterboard over the hole and skim it to finish. The outside could be bricked up to match surrounding brickwork, or rendered to match surrounding render. The gap behind can be filled with expanding foam: make sure you don't bridge the cavity, if you have a cavity wall, with mortar.

2. You can hire a core drill to drill the hole; you will pay for the hire and probably there will be a charge for wear on the core bit. But you can make a large hole in masonry by stitch drilling with a smaller diameter SDS bit, or by using a lump hammer and a chisel.

Once you've found the position of the hole, work from the outside inwards, as it's usually much easier to make good breakout on an inside wall than an outside wall.

thanks for your quick reply,

the wall is standard contruction brick outside with breeze block and plasterboard inside, there is cavity wall insulation (the polystyrene beads)

I will have to seal the hole as it will fall directly behind new cabinets.

thanks again for you help

The core you cut out of the new hole can be placed inside the old hole, and sealed as necessary

Sponsored Links
OK same kitchen different question;

I am having the electrics in my kitchen modified by an electrician who I know and have used before, but I haven't yet checked if he is Part P compliant.

Can anyone confirm the following;
If he is registered Part P he can complete his own installation certificate and he has to give me a copy and he also has to submit a copy to the relevant building control body (who's that ?)

If he is not, he (?) must inform the building control body before work begins and they then complete the certificate for which I assume there will be a charge ?

If he is part p registered, he will fill in the details on line and the LA can check online - no paperwork is sent to them, but you get a copy

If he is not part p registered, you will have to submit the application and pay the fee to the LA (or he can on your behalf but you are still the applicant) and they check the work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back