Kitchen extractor fan height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lovely people,

I need some help in taking the right decision installing the extractor fan in the kitchen at the right height. The Fan is a Samung 90CM wide [samsung nk36m7070vs]. Neff Gas Hob 75cm Wide [T27DS59N0].

The dilemma is that the min distance between hob and fan should be 50cm according to Samsung but 65cm according to Neff. Which one shall I follow? For instance if I go with Neff, the controls are on top of the Samsung and they go really high up that a 5/8 person needs a step to operate it if installed @65cm.

I also read somewhere that if there is a mismatch between 2 manufacturers, then go with the smallest number. In this case 50cm. Any help will be really appreciated. Thankyou all

Sponsored Links
If Samsung say their appliance is safe at 50cm then should be fine, bear in mind the lower it is the more chance a tall person will hit their head on it.

There are many styles of extractor, some are almost flush to wall so don’t stick out over the hob and cause a hazard.

Sponsored Links
@foxhole Thanks mate. Samsung Hood is the angled one. Photo Attached . so want be in someones head I say :giggle: - The max I can go is 60cm above the hob. After that the hood controls are not in comfortable reach. One interesting answer from a certified Gas engineer was to follow 750mm gap as the gas reg says 750, Neff says 750 in hob installer guide. Only Samsung hood say min 500mm. So 750 wins 2:1 on this and must be followed :oops:

Another one said 750 as the splashbacks are 750 high. Although I have seen 450/ 500mm s backs too :cool:

Screen Shot 2023-12-22 at 00.42.09.png

You are not obliged to fit it at the MINIMUM PERMITTED height.

If you have any sense you will put it high enough that you can't bang your head on it.

Also, consider one that you can easily operate, unless you are just looking for a stylish ornament.

@foxhole Thanks mate. Samsung Hood is the angled one. Photo Attached . so want be in someones head I say :giggle: - The max I can go is 60cm above the hob. After that the hood controls are not in comfortable reach. One interesting answer from a certified Gas engineer was to follow 750mm gap as the gas reg says 750, Neff says 750 in hob installer guide. Only Samsung hood say min 500mm. So 750 wins 2:1 on this and must be followed :oops:

Another one said 750 as the splashbacks are 750 high. Although I have seen 450/ 500mm s backs too :cool:

View attachment 326059
I would imagine gas regs do not take into account the great variations of hood now available and probably need updating ( or maybe I’m wrong)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back