Kitchen extractor fan makes grinding noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The extractor fan in my kitchen sometimes makes a grinding noise (although sometimes not) which suggests something is loose and scraping. It's a Baumatic AG600SS - see picture. Most of the fittings in my flat are a bit worn out so I'm thinking it might be best to just completely replace the extractor unit (e.g. http://www.4baumatic.co.uk/cooker-h...pl?pid=1588765&path=621949&model_ref=11679290) unless anyone can suggest a smaller repair that might solve the problem?

If I did replace it, are there newer or better extractors that would fit, rather than replacing it with exactly the same unit?

Thanks lots!

Attachments

• IMG_8909.JPG
    IMG_8909.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 442
Sponsored Links
It could be worth seeing if the impeller has not become unseated.
or a bit of derbies is not rattling around it.

I can't remember if mine is a Baumatic or not but it looks similar. On mine the impeller is held on by a brass nut, 10mm IIRC. Once slackened the impeller can be moved about half an inch fore/aft on the shaft and re-tightened. It tightens onto the shaft by a tapered fitting which grips onto the shaft when tightened. I moved mine a couple of mm and it got rid of the occasional rattle.
BTW, and I might be wrong in your case, but the large outer plastic sections are filters which can be removed by rotating a quarter turn, like a light bulb.

Thanks - I will remove the extractor and see what I can find out then. Maybe just a bit of tightening will sort it out.

Sponsored Links
a scraping noise can also happened if it has been screwed tightly to the surface, and it is not flat or the screws distort the body. in this case, you will notice the noise go when you loosen the screws.

Agreed with the above, we had this problem with an oven fan, eventually it wouldn't actually spin up, but one we refitted the impeller it's so quiet we can't tell whether it's switched on. Still didn't change the fact that, like yours, most of the kitchen equipment needs replacing with something decent.
Another thing with cooker hoods is they get very greasy, maybe cleaning would help.

Just to say thanks to everyone on here for your advice. After taking a close look at the extractor fan and the way it was fitted (and taking into account I couldn't find the power socket for the extractor hood) I decided this was a job for a professional. I found one on Which? Trusted Traders and they came out promptly, identified the issue, gave me options for repair/replacement, and fitted a new extractor unit. Apparently the fan had disintegrated. They were very good and charged a very fair price, so I'd recommend them (Garrett) if anyone decides they'd like to have someone else do the work for a change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back