Kitchen Extractor - Not a hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a cooker in our chimney breast, and lights have been fitted inside the chimney. But now we need to put an extractor fan (ideally 6" x 6") in the chimney but we do not want a hood as we want to keep the lights in (as they're linked up to others under the cupboards). But it needs to fit the building regs requirement of 216m3/hr. Does anyone have ideas - all searches I have done just come back with hoods. Please can you help?
Thanks! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Where are you looking to vent the fan? Most kitchen fans have axial blades designed for mounting in a wall / window and venting directly outside without any ductwork. If your chimney is on an outside wall, you could wall mount the fan inside the chimney and vent it outside, but if the chimney is open at the top then it will be less effective, as it will only pull a limited quantity of air from the kitchen, as some air will be pulled in from the open end of the chimney too.

The other problem is cleaning. Hoods have washable filters, release a couple of clips, pop them in the dishwasher and they're done. Fans have to be dismantled, cleaned and re assembled, and believe me, above a cooker they will need regular cleaning. I'm not sure how accessible that would that be. Could you stand on your cooker to clean it?

Cooker hoods also use centrifugal fans, these produce higher pressures that can be used with a run of ductwork connecting then to a remote outlet.

Having said that chimney fans that are used for fires with smokey chimneys can also be used for ventilation purposes. They are installed on the top of the chimney outside. For an example click here My only concern here is that the whole of the inside of your chimney may become greasy overtime.

I would fit a hood and then if its in built lights weren't satisfactory find new lights to go with that, rather than the other way around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back