kitchen extractor required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just renovating my kitchen, currently it has no extractor fan

Hob will be in chimney breast

Going through chimney would be costly, and running a extractor flue/pipe above units and out room will loo awful

Do i need an extractor or will open window do the job?
i want to minimise condensation

do all extractors need external ducting?

Sponsored Links
markyyyyyy, good evening.

To answer your questions in reverse order.

I would install an extractor which vents outside, Why? because in Autumn + Winter it will be very unlikely that a window will be opened? far too cold !! and the re circulation type of hood will add hugely to the "free water" which has to condense somewhere?

As for how to route an extract duct? is the chimney breast on an external wall?? if so lead the duct into the bottom of the flue and vent to the outside, do not run the duct all the way up the flue to the chimney. ??

ken

16079781857075832158062310603933.jpg
Hi Ken,

Many thanks for your reply.

No, it is on a party wall. As i look at the chimney breast, the external wall is to the left. I'll grab a picture ...

Would you put it over the wall units? Would this look awful?

markyyyyyy, good evening, again.

If you use [say] the plastic rectangular duct, and keep it as close to the wall as possible, it "may" be difficult to see it from the room??

Ken

Sponsored Links
thanks again, i've just looked at them and they seem pretty neat. Having never installed one before, how would i go about installing it?

How do i connect the ducting to the extractor, and what size / shape hole do i drill in external wall?

Edit: Would an alternative be to have a standard 4" vent that is typically used in bathroom? I could install it to the right of the boiler so won't be seen easilly?

Would make it easier for me to install?

Last house position of cooker meant impossible to vent to outside, however never had a problem using an electric cooker. But my father-in-law used gas and he had a problem.

Gas produces moisture, and carbon filters may absorb smells but not moisture, but if that cooker is solid fuel then all moisture will go up the flue, so only worried about smells and a carbon filter will stop that. It is only when burning gas with no flue when there is a problem.

yes, put it on top of the wall units (or inside, if you have 900mm cabs and a 2400 ceiling) or box it in above them, close to the ceiling, with matching top-boxes or dummy doors, which you will need if you have a 3000mm ceiling, as cabinets are impractical, and spaces get very dirty. If you use cabinet hanging rail it is quite easy.

round rigid duct is easier to clean, and easier to core-drill the hole

modern extractors are usually 125mm or 150mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back