Kitchen fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wanted to query my recent kitchen fan installation.

I've had to have a 6" fan fitted through the kitchen wall as the extractor hood above the cooker isn't located near an external wall and ducting wasn't possible.

The wall fan is connected to a switched fused connection unit taken as a spur from the closest double socket - the switched fused unit would be used to turn the fan on/off.

The fan was an afterthought and wasn't included in the main installation. The switch would be awkward to access as it's located near the corner of a worktop so the electrician has taken a cable from the switch fused unit and run it to the main light switch grid plate - is this OK? I've got 3 pole fan isolator switches fitted to various other fans in the house, bathrooms, utility etc. Should the fan in kitchen also be fitted with a 3 pole switch, or is the current installation OK? To be fair to the electrician there really isn't anywhere else to locate a switch and no space near the main switch plate or switched fused connection unit to fit a separate 3 pole switch.

Sponsored Links
Hi, if your fan is a straightforward on/off with no run on timer then you do not require a 3 pole switch. The fuse connection unit which he has installed can be used for safety during maintenance or cleaning.

3 pole switches are used when the fan has two live feeds.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back