Fitting ventiliation fan in hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ventilation fan which fits in the hallway. It is meant to be permanently on, so that we do not get mold in the house. I was going to take a spur from the lighting then connect that to a double pole switch. The double pole switch is then connected to the fan.

The problem i have is that in the manual it says the following: 'Electrical installation requires the provision of a 3 amp fused, 230V 50 Hz supply incorporating a protective earth link. Connection to the unit shall be made using 3 core (Brown-Blue-Green/yellow), 6A, 0.75mm2 cross sectional area (provided), via a double pole switch having a contact separation of at least 3mm at each pole.'

So does that mean i have to connect a fused spur from the light, then connect that to the double pole switch, which in turn is connected to the fan?

Also the double pole switch i can find in toolstation are only 20 amp and also the fused spur comes as 13 amp, can't find 3 amp one?

Sponsored Links
A 20A double pole switch will be fine to use and the fused spurs all come as 13A, you remove the 13A fuse and exchange it for a 3A fuse.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back