Shower Extractor Fan Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am trying to install a 4" Shower Extractor Fan,Timer included.
Rated 220/240 V-50HZ IP24. 17W
I want it to come on with the Bathroom light (Pull Switch)

On the Fan the connections are,
1 Permanent Live Supply
2 Switched Live
3 Neutral

On the Pull Switch
Com, L1, L2.

The instructions say a double pole 3 amp fused spur must be used, i take it this means a 3 amp Fused switch.

Can someone help with the wiring, and where to place the 3 amp switch please.
The loft is above the Bathroom
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
first of all you need to take your existing light apart and make a note of which wire (and colour) goes where

This is because you need to pick up a supply for the fan It depends on if you want the fan to stop when the lights go off as to what to do next.

you should have a switched fuse spur AND a fan isolator

for fan isolator see this

working backwards you should wire the fan to the spur, the spur to the isolator , the isolator to the existing light.

assuming you use a 3 core and earth:

Blue to Neutral
Red to live
yellow to switched live (mark with red tape)

As the red is main feed you should put this through the fuse on the spur

in isolator connect so that each wire goes in and out (isolator should have drawing)

in light connect the blue to the two blacks (neutral), the red to the 3 reds (permanent live), the yellow (mark with red tape) to the single black (switched live)

this assumes that you have all the number of wires / colours as mentioned.

if not get back in touch (and say what you do have)

also NOT mentioned are the earth connections this should be a continious run from fan to light, covered in green sleeving at all exposed points

Hi Breezer
Thanks for the reply.
Please excuse my lay-mans terms.
At my light i have Twin and earth lighting wire, that has been looped and cut, and the 2 reds are joined with a plastic connector block, and are not used, the earth goes into a plastic connector block,and goes no further. and the 2 Blacks are used in the existing light fitting.
At the Existing Pull Switch there is a Black and a red, and the Earth .
As you can tell i am not an Electrician, but that don't seem right to me,but the light works.
Thanks for your help.

do as i mentioned in previous post, but with the following information

The two reds are your live feed (connect red to isolator here)

connect the blue to the black* (neutral, NOT the cable that goes to the switch)
connect the yellow to the other black* (switch live, from switch)

* you MUST find out which of the two twin & earths go to the switch, as this is the black one you connect your yellow wire to. Don't get it wrong

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer
Thanks for the reply and the info,you have been a big help.
As all the wiring is in the loft can i put the Fan Isolator and the fused Switch there (above the Bathroom).
And can you explain why my existing Earth is connected at the Existing pull switch and is not connected at the light fitting.
Once again my Thanks.

Hi Breezer
Thanks for the reply and the info,you have been a big help.

As all the wiring is in the loft can i put the Fan Isolator and the fused Switch there (above the Bathroom).

And can you explain why my existing Earth is connected at the Existing pull switch and is not connected at the light fitting.

Also is this the switch i must get,
double pole 3 amp fused spur.
And of course the Isolator.

Once again my Thanks. :D
Sorry about posting some of this twice.

I see why you have Make a note or Drawing first as your signature, now i have made a Drawing using your instructions and it seems a lot clearer.:cool:

the isolator should be adjacent the fan , but as the fan is in the loft.......

an ordainairy fused spur will be ok (put a 3 amp fuse in it)

the earth should be connected at the light, but i suppose there is no where for it to be connected to, although there still should be an earth wire there, in case the light is changed to one that does have an earth terminal

Hi breezer

The man from Del Monte, he say Yeh!

Went like a dream.Thanks again for all your Help.

loucypher :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back