Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a SELV fan die recently and want to know if it is ok to replace with a standard 240v unit.

Power source is from the ring via a 3 amp fused spur and then a double pole switch all outside the bathroom.

The fan is in zone 2 and is IP24 and operated by a pull cord so I think it should be ok. Anything obvious I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
The regs allow a mains fan to IPX4 in Zone 2 of a bathroom. The circuit supplying it will need to be included in the supplementary bonding if it isn't already, changing it to mains will more than likely be a notifiable task to your LABC under part p of the building regs too.

Why would you revert to a mains fan when all the wiring is there for a much safer SELV fan?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Should it be RCD-protected?
Although advisory, I don't think it is set in stone for a fan in zone 2.

RF Lighting said:
Why would you revert to a mains fan when all the wiring is there for a much safer SELV fan?
I agree 100%!

Spark123 & RF, agree and would prefer to use another selv myself. But couldn't find one with a pull cord at the fan. That means either fitting one from the ceiling or switching on from the switch outside bathroom each time. Didn't fancy that, wet hands etc.
Can anyone point me at a low voltage fan with a pull cord at the fan itself? Would appreciate it.

12V fan

Pull cord module

Not the cheapest soloution, but by far the best.

I'm sure there is a cheaper 12V pull cord fan out there. What is the make and model of your current fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back