kitchen floor slopes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I live in a first floor flat in a victoriian house conversion. I'm doing my kitchen very soon but the floor slopes toward the side of the house (it's an end terrace) the sloping difference is about 10cm/4inches from one end to the other. The size of the kitchen is 3m x 2m.

I'd rather not use screading and ripping up the floorboards and batoning the joists is too expensive.

what other options do i have or ideas.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Not a lot, other than having a thicker sole fitted to one shoe :).

You can't use screed over the timber floor, anyhow. You could leave the existing floor in situ, put firring pieces over and reboard to level. Take the opportunity to install some sound-deadening material while you're at it.

You will need to relevel the skirtings. New kitchen install will sit on the newly levelled floor.

have a look under the floorboards to see what the trouble is caused by.

maybe the whole back extension has come loose from the house and subsided

maybe a wooden wallplate has rotted away

either of these could lead to your floor collapsing at an inconvenient time

and post some pics of what you find. we like pictures!

have a look under the floorboards to see what the trouble is caused by.
I would guess that it's dropped to the rear courtyard corner, where the drains congregate. May be old, may be ongoing, but I would have expected the surveyor to have flagged that and asked for an SE's report, if he was suspicious.

Sponsored Links
Pardon me hijacking the post but I have a very similar problem in the bedroom of my 1860's flat. The floors are all bowed and the two sides of the room are a good few inches higher than the middle. The bowed floorboards are very old and squeeky as well.

Is the solution to somehow bolt new straight joists to the sides of the bowed joists and then relay a new flat subfloor on top?

I don't have the confidence to start cutting joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back