Kitchen floor wet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

the laminate on my sisters kitchen foor has began lifting, Ive checked for damp and the concrete floor is indeed damp.

Ive checked as much as the floor as possible without lifting the laminate and am working through what it could be and wondered if the decking could be at fault.

The decking is 50mm below the DPC and is built on an existing patio, but is not secured to the house walls, their is a 10 mm gap between the end of the boards and the house walls, it was built 2 years ago, and their seems to be no sign of excess dampness on the outside bricks, ive also checked the inside walls and these seem fine, they are cavity walls.

the damp patch itself extends from one side of the kitchen to the other but the floor is dry in front of the wall which runs parellel to the decking, except in one area where the mains pipe passes through the floor to the kitchen sink, also next to this pipe is another hole stuffed with a plastic bag which definately penetrates the DPC.

there are no obvious signs of leaking pipes anywhere and the mains pipe itself is not leaking above floor level.

Any thoughts on whether it could be splash back from the decking?

Sponsored Links
i dont think it is splash back. I would of thought it would of caused a problem with in the first 6 months but it should be put right still. You need to lift the floor and see if you can see a patch of damp which will normally be down to a leak. If no patch then it may be a dpm problem. It is almost impossible to say over a forum with out seeing the problem and knowing what your looking for.

I agree, i find it unlikely to be splash back, ive checked under the kithen units where the sink is and the damp patch only extends to one area under the sink, theres definatly no leaks from the sink/waste etc except where the mains pipe enters the building under the sink, I was thinking that maybe the mains pipe and the hole next to it may have compromised the damp course

Sponsored Links
The hole is quite big, my hand fits down it quite easily, I cant see if its been repaired before but it looks like a plastic sand bag thats been stuffed down the hole[/quote]

ummm nice. Im going to take a wild guess that if it is wet near this hole and this is where the mains come in that it has been damaged and repaired before. Now it leaks again. Its hard to say. If i could see the job i could 99.9% tell you what the problem is in 15 minutes. But im not there! Have a good look at this hole. If you are using moister meters etc to find the problem area in the first place im going to guess your not daft and should be able to work out the problem. How about you come back with a theory and we will go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back