Lifting floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new kitchen floor fitted about 6 months ago using karndean flooring.
The original floor had a couple of patches where we had had leaks years ago and the SLC had lifted in those areas. I took up the old flooring and removed the glue. When the floor layer came to start I pointed out the areas that had lifted. He said no problem and he would patch that and relay with new SLC.
Two weeks ago I noticed that the floor had started to lift in the centre. Icalled them back and the fitter lifted some of the karndean and the SLC had lifted inc. the original. He checked the floor with a damp meter and said there was dampness there. He also scored the slab and said there was dampness there as well.
There are no pipes in the area. They are claiming that the moisture from the SLC has gone down through the original SLC and has now lifted the floor. There was about 5 days between the SLC being laid and the flooring being laid. The company are saying that there is no fault in there work and that I will have to pay for the floor to be relaid with a liquid DPC being incorporated. I cannot realistically afford another £800 +. The karndean install guide states that floor should be laid on a subfloor where the moisture level is does not exceed 75% RH ??.
The moisture meter was not used when the fitter first visited.

Basically HELP, any ideas on my way forward.

Sponsored Links
No idea but I would have thought the fitter should be responsible for making sure the surface is suitable.

I think you would be better asking in floors, stairs and lofts as there are some floor laying regulars in there. (but leave a message here if you do to avoid any cross-posting)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back