Vinyl tiles, concrete, bitumen and SLC all on one floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello kind folks of the floors, stairs and lofts section!

I need some advice.

Our kitchen floor is in a bit of a state currently. Half is a concrete base (appears to have dark red colouring), the other half currently has vinyl tiles over most of it, with water based self leveling compound filling in gaps where tiles came up with removal of old flooring. The floor is more or less level currently over the tile->concrete parts. i.e. removal of the vinyl tiles would leave a drop of approx 3mm.

Under the vinyl tiles, which are brittle, there is a black covering, looks like it was troweled on with a notched towel (maybe bitumen?). The patches of SLC were laid on this black covering, with a PVA/water mix first.

I am preparing to lay a slate floor and, after washing down the vinyl part tonight, noticed more tiles became lose at the corners. Lifting them it appears they are not as well stuck down as I first thought and I found with a little effort I could get a lot of tiles up. So, the way forward...? Lift them all and use SLC?

Can I lay SLC over the black covering (using a primer first) ? Should I be using water based or latex based? If latex, is this fine to meet/go over the existing water based SLC that is down?

So many questions! Hope someone has all the magic answers for me :)

Thanks!

Ste

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back