Bitumen DPM + self levelling compound, will it stick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've tried to find the answer to this everywhere but seem to get conflicting views.

I have an old concrete subfloor which is a little damp so have covered with Wickes liquid dpm which is bitumen-based. But I now need to level this before tiling but don't have much height to play with - 10-12mm.

Can I prime the bitumen and then pour on a latex slc? Will it stick?

If not is the another way of levelling on top of the bitumen before tiling with ceramic tiles?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I think I've found the answer. Ardex Arditex NA. Does anyone have any experience of using this? Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation. Just put the NA down, how long should I leave it before putting an f75 dpm on top? The NA it about 8mm at its deepest. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that! It just wasn't entirely clear. I'll give them a call.

Further to this - I’ve just put Black Jack 108 DPM down on a screeded concrete floor. Now looking to self-level…
I’ve bought some Screwfix own SLC but have read conflicting information about it adhering to a bitumen emulsion.

Does anyone know if it’ll stick?
Do I need to prime first?
Do I need to blast it with sharp sand?

Failing any info on the Screwfix offering, will Ardex Arditex NA go down without primer, or do I need to put some SBR down first?

Cheers

Don't forget to paint the DPM up the walls as well at least as high as the expected thickness of the final floor. I'd put 2 coats down, a light dusting of sand on second coat won't go amiss - not sure about sharp sand as you don't want to pierce the DPM.

Don't forget to paint the DPM up the walls as well at least as high as the expected thickness of the final floor.
Evening.

Yep I’ve painted the DPM up the walls, higher than the FFL.
I'd put 2 coats down, a light dusting of sand on second coat won't go amiss -
Do you mean two coats of primer? Or DPM? It’s had two coats of DPM (on top of a watered-down coat).
- not sure about sharp sand as you don't want to pierce the DPM.
I’d read that sand scattered over the drying final-coat of DPM helped create a key for the SLC, but may have got it wrong with it being sharp sand!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back