Kitchen Install - Advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some advice.

I am having an ikea kitchen fitted (by ikea). I have removed the old kitchen and all tiling so the room is bare. Whilst removing some of the tiles, the adhesive was very strong and the wall is damaged in several areas. Nothing to severe but some damage all the same.

My plan is to have Ikea install the units and then to have a plasterer repair the walls and tile.

My question is, am I right to do it in this order? Will Ikea be able to install the kitchen ok and then me have plastering done afterwards?

Apologies for my ignorance, this is my first home and a junior DIYer!

Any help or advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Much easier to get the plasterer in first. Its much harder to skim etc between units and other obsticles.

Would be a good idea to get your electrics checked, make sure you have enough outlets for any new appliances etc.

Sponsored Links
Why bother getting a plasterer in?

If you are re-tiling over all the damaged areas, just get a bag of multi finish plaster and slap it into the holes / dips so that its roughly flat. Then you can tile onto it :)

If you are not tiling over some areas that are damaged though, a plasterer will be needed, and before the kitchen goes it would be better - a plasterers trowel has very sharp corners that will damage your worktops / units if they aren't very very careful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back