Advice needed: A simple repair to kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see in the picture, my kitchen worktop has a chip in its surface. This is the typical cheap B&Q or IKEA type of worktop, a kind of dense chipboard with a fairly sturdy plastic surface (laminate?).

I am not too bothered about the way it looks. Half of the area affected will be covered by mastic once I get the splash back installed. I am however quite worried about water coming from my sink area and soaking into the chipboard (rot, fungus etc..).
So when I reattach the loose piece of surface I need to choose a glue and a method that PROPERLY SEALS the damage, making it as impenetrable to water as the rest of the worktop.

All help appreciated.

View media item 56428

Sponsored Links
Just put some varnish on any areas where the chipboard is exposed.

Nigel

Actually, come to think of it I've got some 'weather proof' wood adhesive. Good enough for this purpose? (Would save me the 15 quid I'd spend on a tin of varnish)

You can usually get varnish at the local pound shop. Wood adhesive isn't suitable.

Sponsored Links
Contact adhesive is the correct adhesive to repair this section. Evostik being the most commonly available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back