Wood Kitchen Worktop Restoration Query

For what it's worth I cannot understand why people continue to buy wooden work tops.
They are easily scratched, they are unhygienic, they require frequent maintenance, and they are expensive.

............................ it just annoys me to see people being conned into buying these without knowing the facts.

Unhygienic? How so?

Sponsored Links
Unhygenic? How so?

No matter how much you seal the wood the pores will still absorp the microbes from the various foods and detergents that are part of the normal day to day operations in any kitchen.

Really? I remember reading a report in New Scientist in late 1995 written by two guys at Vancouver University (I haven't found the reference for you yet).

The jist of the report was that they had examined a considerable number of chopping/cutting boards made from several different types of wood, and the hygiene implications.

After infecting the boards, tests were carried out, and from what I can remember, after 3 hours there was a dramatic reduction in the bacteria present, and after 24 hours no detectable live bacteria were left. This was because the wood has natural antiseptic substances in it, which is one of the reasons it doesn't rot except when attacked by fungi.

If it were the case that wood is so unhygienic for cooking, we should all be suffering regular food poisoning from the use of wooden rolling pins, spoons, meat tenderisers, chopsticks, breadboards, chopping blocks, bowls..................

If you want an unhygienic surface try plastics.

Really? I remember reading a report in New Scientist in late 1995 written by two guys at Vancouver University (I haven't found the reference for you yet).

The jist of the report was that they had examined a considerable number of chopping/cutting boards made from several different types of wood, and the hygiene implications.

After infecting the boards, tests were carried out, and from what I can remember, after 3 hours there was a dramatic reduction in the bacteria present, and after 24 hours no detectable live bacteria were left. This was because the wood has natural antiseptic substances in it, which is one of the reasons it doesn't rot except when attacked by fungi.

If it were the case that wood is so unhygienic for cooking, we should all be suffering regular food poisoning from the use of wooden rolling pins, spoons, meat tenderisers, chopsticks, breadboards, chopping blocks, bowls..................

If you want an unhygienic surface try plastics.

So your saying that it's alright to use the wooden worktop after 3 hours, hmm. :confused:
You wouldn't by any chance fit these work tops for a living wood you? ;)

Sponsored Links
From your link
Solid wood

A great choice for colour and character, but remember wood will scratch, cut and become stained if not cared for. Hot pans will burn a wooden worktop, and they can be unhygienic when used as a chopping board themselves. Wood worktops can be advantageous in that slight surface damage can be refinished. Using solid wood worktops for a breakfast bar as a contrast to say laminate worktops elsewhere can give the kitchen a very individual look. Solid wood worktops do require regular maintenance.

Would agree with all of this, except they won't be unhygienic, however using a worktop as a cutting board instead of using a dedicated piece of wood gives every indication that whoever is using it doesn't have much of a clue anyway. Any other type of worktop will be no more hygienic given this treatment. The cleaning treatment would probably be the ineffective squirt of some "anti-bacterial" spray and a swipe with a cloth, no doubt with an equally suspect history.

Wood has been proven to be very hygenic for reasons mentioned by other postings.
I have a Marble insert in my worktops.
Even on this I do not cut. But it serves well for hot Pans. Pastry etc.
Use a chopping board.
Who uses a laminate worktop to chop on anyway.
I must admit my only other two types of worksurface would be Granite/Marble/Slate or stainless steel.
My worktops still look and feel great after 10 years.
No way would laminate have lasted this long.
To each his own though.

My worktops still look and feel great after 10 years.
No way would laminate have lasted this long.

So do mine, strange though, as they are laminate, you know, those plastic coated chipboard things. Must depend on what you do with them. ;)

If you hadn't oiled it you could apply three coats of Dulux diamond glaze to un treated wood too late now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back