Kitchen Makeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I joined today in desperation!!! At a rather late stage in life I have decided to decorate my kitchen - I am concerned at my lack of knowledge on how to tackle surfaces that have been painted over probably many times and want this to be the last time I do it!

The cupboards (of which there are many and varied) do not need their doors changing - they are wood and good BUT someone has painted them with white Gloss paint over Brown gloss paint - the white is chipping off and showing the brown - there may be something else under the brown - who knows! Do I take a blowtorch to this or can I use a special undercoat and then use a kitchen paint? (a kitchen white that won't yellow with the heat).

I seem to remember hearing, many years ago, my father talking about washing surfaces down with "sugar soap" - would this be appropriate (if it still exists) in this case?

Optimistically, Sue

Sponsored Links
Sue, it sounds like your cupboard doors have a real thick layer of paint on them, and its probably best to get rid of most of it if you can.
If you can remove the doors, so much the better then you can lay them flat, and work on them in the garage on a bench.
To remove the old paint, consider a heat gun (electric, with no naked flame) and a scraper or one of the various chemical paint stripping products that are available (Nitromors etc). You could of course sand them down using a detail sander - it all depends on how far you want to go.
Its going to take you a wee while, I reckon!
Sugar soap is still available and still good - most hardware stores stock it.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back