Kitchen Plasterboard Fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of installing a Wren kitchen which is proving very tiresome.
I am currently trying to put up a couple of wall mounted cabinets above a worktop. The brackets supplied come with no measurements and the installation video says that need to be installed at 120mm but in reality it looks more like 40mm.

The problem is, I put studs/noggins in as per the videos so I am going to have to put these into plasterboard.

The wall was studded out with 70mm celotex in between the studs. I would like to put in a heavy duty plasterboard fixing but not too sure which and also whether it will fit if there is Celotex, I have seen those ones with a setting tool but would this work with Celotex in place?

Sponsored Links
Hindsight, always clad walls in kitchens and bathrooms with ply before plasterboarding and skimming, that way, you don't have to fart on trying to find noggins.

You have two choices, either try the cavity anchors, or cut the plasterboard and fit in some wood where needed.

I think that the rail is the best solution here, worried about using the anchors as I don't know if they will open because of the celotex as it is quite dense.

The unit is 800 wide, can you get longer rails? I;ll have a look, that way I should be able to at least screw it into two studs direct

Bloody Wren

Sponsored Links
I have found a video of the installation of this item (a few in fact) from the Infinity section of the installation guides on the Wren website. It says (to paraphrase) draw a line at the top where the cabinet is going to end up (this would be in line with the other units already installed.
Then it gets weird.
Both of the videos say to draw a line 125mm below this line and this is where the bottom of the brackets are fixed.
Now, i have a noggin at that height.
Great you might think
But hang on there a minute, lets have a look at the cabinet fixing (not the one on the wall) -
upload_2021-6-15_7-59-26.png

That top bit there is the bit i think is the bit that connects to the bracket although as i am typing this i am thinking it 'might' be the round bit there that connects to it and i have type this like a knob.
Is it the round bit that connects to the bracket?

I think it is the right way up, there are screws to fix to the sides and also a lock bar at the bottom which gets pulled down

Don't use noggins, use plywood, chipboard or OSB pattresses. Plasterboard anchors can't take the load that might potentially end up in a cabinet. The long rails I used to buy came in 1200 and 1800mm lengths which you sawed to length. They are far better that the prissy little hangers kitchen suppliers give you, and easier to level - but you do need to notch out the internal cabinet backs with a jigsaw to provide clearance for them

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the rail is the best solution here, worried about using the anchors as I don't know if they will open because of the celotex as it is quite dense.

The unit is 800 wide, can you get longer rails? I;ll have a look, that way I should be able to at least screw it into two studs direct

Bloody Wren
The link is for a 2m rail?

Hi can you tell if the rail worked with your wren cabinets. I'm looking to do the same thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back