Kitchen refurbishment and planning permission or Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Kindly excuse me if I sound naive because I am not knowledgable in this area.

I am looking forward to get my kitchen refurbished which would include removal of all existing units, electrical sockets ( which will be embedded in walls after refurbishment). There is some flooring, wall and ceiling work to be done (mainly levelling and finishing) prior to putting new kitchen units. There is no extension in building what so ever but obviously a little bit of redesigning. Also, I am looking for a few extra electrical sockets.

The CU near the electrical meter (under the stairs and seperated from kitchen by a brick wall) is old domino type and a thick cable is supplying the kitchen with separate 30 AMP fuse for cooker (though mine is gas cooker with electric oven). It has been suggested that it should be upgraded to the recent electrical regulations. Also, a separate kitchen ring is also suggested by some.

My questions are-

1. Will I need any planning permission for undertaking this refurbishment?
2. If the CU is changed by a registered installer and also the kitchen is 'ringed' by him. Can he self certify it?
3. Do I have to seek permission from electricity suppliers or anybody else before getting CU changed?

Any help/suggestion/advice will be highly appreciated

Sponsored Links
1. you don't need "permission", but you do need to notify the LABC that you are doing electrical work in the kitchen and the CU change..

2. A part-p registered electrician will do all the notifying for you and issue you with the relevant electrical certificates.

3. The electrician will liaise with the supplier to get someone out to cut the seals and pull the main fuse.. or you could contact them ahead of time and ask for an Isolator to be fitted as you are having a CU change in the near future...

Thanks ColJack. I really appreciate your help and sorry for posting this at the wrong place.

Here is a link to the LABC website which details the bodies who cover Part P registration. Any contractor who claims to be Part P registered will appear on the listings on the appropriate websites. There will usually be a contractor search page on each site which allows you to find Part P registered contractors in your local area.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back