Kitchen sink drainage problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble with our kitchen sink! It isn't draining - takes hours for a bit of water to go through. The dishwasher occasionally send its waste water up into the sink too, not nice!

I have taken the dishwasher drain pipe off from under the sink and blocked the hole - no difference. I have taken the u-bend apart and although a bit gunged up and smelly, cleaning and replacing that has made no difference! I've tried foaming drain cleaner and that has made no difference either. Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Put the plug in and fill the sink with water, then pull the plug out and use a plunger. Might have to do it a few times. This usually works.

It must be blocked further down the run. If plunging doesn't do it can you force some water down at mains pressure using a hosepipe? That might help to wash it through further down.

I've used one of these, it's sorted out a sink blockage for me.

Just remember to plug up all the other drain outlets, overflow, washing machine etc before you blast it. Sometimes handy if you get the family to help with the blocking :)

Sponsored Links
Filling the sink with water and giving it a good plunge seems to have done the trick, thanks everyone! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back