Kitchen sink waste outlet height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been getting quite a bed smell from our kitchen sink when it has not been used for a while (e.g. coming back from holiday)

The sink has a main bowl with a smaller bowl in the middle and the waste attachment for the sink runs down at and angle to a bottle trap. Because of the angle the bottle trap also sits off vertical which is not ideal.

The bottle trap sits below the cast iron outlet which goes through the wall to an outside downpipe. Is it ok to have the trap below the outlet pipe (i.e. the water has to travel up to get out) and is the smell due to the angle of the trap.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
no its not correct to have water going up hill and the trap at an angle.

why not fit what is called a 1 1/2 bowl kit, made by mcalpine.

Is your sink by a south-facing window by any chance? The water in the trap could just be warming up and evaporating. It shouldn't have to run uphill to get out though, it should fall all the way

Sponsored Links
Is your sink by a south-facing window by any chance? The water in the trap could just be warming up and evaporating. It shouldn't have to run uphill to get out though, it should fall all the way

The sink is beside a west facing window and does get quite a bit of sun. Going by the weather we've had (mainly rain) I suspect it may something to do with the trap.

I'll look into the Mcalpine kit and see if this may help.

Thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back