Kitchen Socket Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under current regulations, does a kitchen need to have a seperate electrical ring main from the rest of the house? I ask as at present, I appear to have a CU labeled up as follows:

1: Lighting
2: Sockets
3: Under stair sockets
4. Sockets & heating
5: Cooker
6: Spare

I've checked the breakers out and this is what I found:

1= All lighting
2= All the house sockets
3= I have no idea- nothing goes off when I hit that one!
4= Heating & Oven
5= Again, no idea!
6= Spare, needs a breaker!

I've moved a light switch & am adding a socket so will need to get it all checked out prior to finishing, but I get the feeling I will need to amend a few things beforehand!

Sponsored Links
The regulations do not say how many ring mains but they do refer to area covered etc. What you must remember the same regs cover commercial and domestic so are written in a way where some interpretation is required.

There are a number of regs coving wiring which also includes building regulations for example Part P and under Part P you must inform the local authority building control before you start any work. Electricians can be registered and as such they can inform after the work is done and pay annual fee plus small amount for any work so often they can do whole job for less than the LABC will charge you. (£100+) So work in kitchens, bathrooms, and gardens is not really worth DIY.

Once anything is altered it needs to comply with BS7671:2008 or 17th Edition and this requires RCD protection to nearly everything. As to where the RCD goes will depend what you have but if you want to comply with regulations most likely DIY will be uneconomic.

If it was new installation a separate circuit could well be a consideration for the kitchen, may be even more than one separate circuit depending on appliances be served.
As far as your investigations in to breakers and circuits being protected, do you have under stairs socket or cooker on it's own circuit may be these have been made redundant but should be kept off, if so.

Indeed the ones you can't identify are most likely redundant circuits, or supplying an outlet somewhere you aren't using. If in doubt, leave them off - if they are actually supplying something you'll figure it out when you come to try and use it...

Sponsored Links
I have indeed opened the spurious breakers!! Think I will need to get the wiring checked out and then get it sorted so that it all makes sense!

Cheers for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back