Kitchen - Spur from Fused Socket?

I therefore wonder if you have any idea why the fuse blew and, perhaps more to the point, wonder how comfortable you were about 'refitting' the F/F after you had put in a new fuse?
John, I have no idea why the fuse blew, it was a rented dwelling and tenant said the fridge just stop working. With regards to refitting the F/F, the F/F also had an AWT S/FCU, so just replaced the socket plate with flex plate, chopped plug off and fitted MF connectors.

Sponsored Links
John, I have no idea why the fuse blew, it was a rented dwelling and tenant said the fridge just stop working. With regards to refitting the F/F....
Fair enough. As you will understand, my point was that something must have resulted in the fuse blowing (what rating was it?) - so, unless that was because of a 'faulty' ('old age'?) or under-rated fuse, it might well not be long before the appliance has to be 'unfitted' again. Did you stay for long enough to ascertain that the F/F was actually 'working', as well as 'sounding as if it was working'?
... the F/F also had an AWT S/FCU, so just replaced the socket plate with flex plate, chopped plug off and fitted MF connectors.
Again, fair enough. That obviously means that there is no longer a fuse behind the appliance to blow, but if the one in the FCU now blows, the appliance will presumably have to be 'unfitted' (involving someone crawling in the housing to 'unwire' it), anyway - so not much will have been gained.

Kind Regards, John

The property is managed by a letting agency, which I maintain the electrics for. The F/F fuse has not blown since my intervention, which would now be approximately 18 months. As far as the reason for fuse blowing originally, I suppose it was just one of them things, that can never really be explained. maybe a weak or faulty fuse or possible surge current????
TBH, I don't actually recall the size of the fuse that blew.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The property is managed by a letting agency, which I maintain the electrics for. The F/F fuse has not blown since my intervention, which would now be approximately 18 months. As far as the reason for fuse blowing originally, I suppose it was just one of them things, that can never really be explained. maybe a weak or faulty fuse or possible surge current???? TBH, I don't actually recall the size of the fuse that blew.
Fair enough. As you say, fuses do occasionally blow 'for no good reason', albeit that is (in my experience) very rare - but if the replacement fuse has lasted for 18 months, I suppose one has to suspect that such was the reason. Particularly if the fuse was anything other than 13A, and more particularly if the F/F were fairly 'old', I suppose the inrush current of the the compressor might have been 'the last straw'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back