Kitchen tap drips a LOT when turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, my next DIY plumbing challenge. I've got the following tap in my kitchen: http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/kitche...gew-0-50/Cooke-and-Lewis-Newport-Tap-12097526 which was installed by the previous owners.

It's of course connected via 2 separate hot/cold supplies, through one tap hole.

The problem is that it drips profusely when switched off - large drops and for up to 20 seconds. Very irritating. I imagine a good place to start checking for problems would be the washers of the 2 hot/cold taps, but I have never done something like this before and I also have no idea if there are any other washers I should look at, or other possible causes.

Any suggestions on what tools I need and what else I might need to investigate are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I have a similar (but not identical) tap. On mine, the large nut in the center can be loosened and the spout removed to reveal a washer. Replacing that washer stopped the dripping on mine.

If it drips for 20 seconds and then stops then it's just the spout emptying - if it drips continually then then one or both of the washers needs replacing

Thanks both for your reply.

Well after half dismantling the tap, I was suddenly struck with an idea. I removed the 'filter ring' that is present at the end of the spout, where the water emerges. Inside this ring is a plastic 'filter grid' and a washer. Drip gone. Put the filter back, drip is back.

As the previous poster said, the drip is not continuous and basically seems to be caused by this 'filter' delaying the spout emptying. Any suggestions?

The obvious choice is replace the 'filter grid' inside the filter ring with something different and see if that fixes it. Does anyone know if you can get such things and also, what the proper name is for the parts I have described?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
this might be what you want

http://www.tap-spares.com/itemdetail.asp?catid=22

i see they offer to advise if you send them a photo of your tap (presumably the one on the B&Q page would do). i have no idea whether this part would fix the problem, but maybe they would know.

can't you just use the tap without the diffuser? or is the water flow altered?

I managed to fix this by using some jointing compound/silicone grease on the aerator (aka 'filter ring'!) and slapping new O-rings on the spout where it's inserted into the main tap assembly. Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back