Kitchen tap keeps tripping RCD

Sponsored Links
If it is the spigots, you can fix them yourself.

The corrugated fingers pointing up, are intended for pushing waste hoses, from a dishwasher and washing machine, onto. They may already have plastic sealing disks in. Stuff some kitchen roll into the ends. If it gets wet they are not sealed.

But test by running the tap with the plug in, then turn off the tap and pull out the plug, as well. To see if it is the tap, or the waste, leaking. Or both.
Thank you will give it a try

It's a little bit of both, in my opinion - but both tasks are DIY'able.

First you need to find where the leak is - turn the taps on as you would normally, look under the sink and see where any water comes from - as above, if drips aren't immediately visible, wrapping kitchen towel around the pipe joints can give you a clue.

Secondly, the old flex outlet could do with being checked. If it is badly corroded, an electrician may want to isolate it.
If it is ok, it could be covered with a blanking plate, and a little silicone around the edges wouldn't hurt.
Thank you so much

Good point.

If you have a plumber in, get her to rotate the spigots so they face you. You will be able to see them better, they will be away from the wall, and you will be able to push waste hoses onto them if you buy a washer.

You could also do it yourself. Wear rubber gloves to get a good grip on the plastic nuts, which you will have go loosen to rotate the joints

Sponsored Links
Good point.

If you have a plumber in, get her to rotate the spigots so they face you. You will be able to see them better, they will be away from the wall, and you will be able to push waste hoses onto them if you buy a washer.

You could also do it yourself. Wear rubber gloves to get a good grip on the plastic nuts.
Thank you so much

The washing machine and dishwasher waste connectors can be blanked off if they aren't needed:

Simple to fit as a DIY job.

Only needed if the current ones have holes in them (as in, had previously been in use), but I suspect that they may be the problem.

Hi!
Just moved into a property, the kitchen sink tap whether hot or cold, trips out the sockets on the rcd. it needs to run for about 10 seconds and then it trips out.. I can immediately reset the rcd no issues but if I run it again for 10 seconds plus it will trip… I’m stumped, had an electrician round doing some other bits and he was quite stumped (convo only) he suggested a new circuit board is probably needed? I spoke with a plumber on the phone and he doesn’t think it will be a plumbing issue if the upstairs taps are not causing it to trip ( which they are not, nor the downstairs loo, just the kitchen sink?) just wondered if anyone else had or knew what this is? I don’t have a combo boiler but a fairly new Worcester boiler and older water tank.. no heating or hot water issues, sometimes the upstairs shower will cut out after a lengthy time?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Update —- thank you all for your comments and help, I really appreciate it’s tough on a forum but I had to decide whether a plumber or electrican job due to money. It was the waste pipe leaking onto the socket at the back. Thank you!

I'm guessing you went for a plumber but let us know

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back