Kitchen tap retaining nut coming loose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Every mixer tap I've ever had seems to keep coming loose whatever I do to tighten it. The last 2 were of the type which has a single threaded bar screwed into the base between the feed pipes; over which a nut is screwed. This latest one has lasted about 2 weeks before slackening off. I've never used any sticky stuff under the tap base.

Any trade secrets that work?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you on about the threaded bolt and nut that secures the tap to the sink :?:

Previously if you used the type which uses two bolts and the horse shoe type retaining clamp, you need to tighten these in equal turns, as one tightens the other slackens... i hate these type! But they do work if equally tightend up.

Now .... The single bolt type.... Theres no plumbers trick ....bla...bla..bla Its just tighen bolt into tap body along with the hot and cold tails, whether they be copper or braided flexy type..making sure they're fully home!!!
Next offer to sink and slip on rubber washer , while locating the hole in washer with the bolt then over goes the metal retaining clamp again locating hole into bolt the screw nut on and tighten with tap spanner if you have one?
Dont over tighten but it must be nice and secure.... theres a fine line between tight and stupidly over tight!!

Thats it!!! If somethings going wrong with your assembly of the taps and they still come loose get another nut , the same size as to fit the bolt and screw this upto the existing nut.... Now youve just created a LOCK NUT! that sucker wont come loose i promise you. ;)

What you dont do is try to attach everything from under the sink!!! Like...trying to locate the bolt and nut into the tap from under the sink is making your life harder.
You must attach the bolt to the tap the offer it to the sink and the attach the nut and washers from under the sink.

I've seen people try to fit taps by doing the job from under the sink and they have the bolt and nut screwed together then they screw these into the tap.....but the thing is the bolt may not locate far enougth into the tap for it to be a propper job!!!

Bet you thought fitting a tap was suppose to be easy..... Ive just waisted 5 minutes of your life talking about How to fit a tap GOOD LUCK.. You'll never get this time back EVA!!! :evil:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back