Kitchen tap won't turn off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just tried to turn the kitchen mixer tap off, and it's staying on pretty much full blast!

No idea what make it is, can't find anything written in it anywhere. It's almost identical to this one.

I'm guessing something has broken inside, it's like the lever isn't doing anything any more.

I've take the tap out and taken the vertical bit off, so I'm just left with the chunky bit at the bottom with 2 Flexi hoses attached to the bottom, but they're inside the long brass thread that attaches it to the sink, so I can't get to them. I can't see any way to get any further or take anything else apart to get inside.

Anyone got any suggestions or can point me in the right direction? Can't seem to find much to help online.

Sponsored Links
Buy a new tap. Can you take pics ,and post here ,of the set up below the sink that's holding the tap to the sink ? You will most likely need a box spanner to remove the tap.

Most likely the plastic lever inside has snapped in the on position. New cartridge if you can measure the size, or new tap.

Yeah, I guess a new tap would be the simplest!

Was just wondering if it could be fixed, but can't figure out how to get inside! I've attached a couple of pics if that's any help.

IMG_20190424_065152.jpg IMG_20190424_065211.jpg IMG_20190424_065200.jpg MVIMG_20190424_065206.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've removed the lever you use to turn it on/off, underneath that was a thread with and but at the top for an allen key. That just removed as small threaded piece. Now nothing else seems to move. I'll have another look in the morning, otherwise it's off to get a new tap I think.

The cap that the grub screw came out off will prise off the cartridge lever and then the domed cap will unscrew and the cartridge will pull out. You may find it difficult to find a replacement though if it's just a generic chinese tap.

Yeah, I've given up! Didn't even know taps had cartridges, thought it would just be a washer or something simple. I've ordered a new tap.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back