Kitchen Units Against Uneven Wall [Pic]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK pushed my kitchen units against the wall and there is a gap as the wall in uneven vertically as well as horizontally:

QB6AJUQ.jpg

Assuming my worktop will be 620mm and the kitchen units are 600mm (605mm if you factor in the gap):

skRuIy0.jpg

What is the best course of action to get a straight row of units?

Either: chisel out the wall, or cut the back of the units?

Also why do units have that thing sticking out the back? Surely this was made for cutting down to size?

The worktops they sell at Wickes are 600mm, same as the units. I always thought it was normal to leave a 20mm overhang so if one had a 600mm worktop the units would have to get cut down at the back to give an overhang right?

I was thinking of taping a string to the floor at the front of the units then cutting the units at the back so that the fronts line up with the string, is this a good idea?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Standard base depth is 570mm + door takes it to around 590mm so 600mm top over hangs around 10mm.Rear is to accommodate services ( pipes etc) so can be trimmed to allow alignment.

It may be an obvious question but, have you checked that your units are plumb/vertical?

As above. Make sure your first units is plumb and level, then one by one put the next units (plumbed and levelled) against it, making sure they are all aligned at the front. To achieve the straight run, the easiest is to pull units forwards as required, but you could of course also trim the service void at the back of the units.

Sponsored Links
It's far better to set all your units up, against the wall, and then see what the overall position is. It's possible that wall runs both in, and out, so you could line up the 1st one correctly, and then find you're trimming the backs in the wrong direction. Most worktops assume that you're fitting them to that back of the units, so you want the top of the units back against the wall, which in the case of the first picture, means that you'd trim the back of the unit towards the bottom.

Fix all the units together before offering to wall , you will then see which units need trimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back