OK to cover worktop gap to wall with upstands?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Fitting my kitchen (first time but not a stranger to DIY) and this may sound like a stupid question (or rather a very rookie question) but here goes.

I have at the maximum a 15 mm gap between the back of my worktop and the wall with the worktop overhang equal along the length - i.e. worktop running parallel to the units. The upstands i'm going to fit are 20 mm thick so fully covers this gap but I'm curious if this is good practise or if with hindsight most fitters would have scribed the units and worktop? The wall bows out to a maximum around 1/3 the length so I set up my units pivoting around this point hence a gap at the ends of the run.

The worktop is only 600 deep so I opted to leave the full ~40 mm overhang from the front of the carcasses... at least that's the reasoning behind where I am now.

Also would you fill the gap between the worktop and wall with silicone then silicone the gap between the upstand and worktop?

Feel free tell me I'm an idiot!

Cheers,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Presumably the upstand is 15mm thick, or more? How will you bend it?

I'd scribe it and use the upstand

Thanks for the reply,

Upstands are 20 mm thick- they’re laminated chipboard so quite flexible anyway.

Sponsored Links
Fine , make sure silicon seals gap you don’t want liquid getting to the back and damaging worktop .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back