How to fill 1cm gap between granite worktop and upstand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just moved into a house and I have realised there is an approx. 1cm gap between the rear edge of the granite worktop and the small granite upstand running along behind the sink. The sink tap is also badly located so water always splashes and often pours over the worktop so can occasionally run down this gap doing god-knows what damage behind.

We are looking to completely re-do the kitchen in the next couple of months but in the short term I really need to get the gap sealed up. It doesn't need to look pretty but does need to be water tight. I was going to have a go with some silicone sealant but thought I'd check if this would be suitable as it is quite a wide gap.

Bizarrely I can't see any trace of old sealant there so it almost looks as though it's always been like that!! I don't understand how someone could pay for solid granite worktops to be put in and be happy to leave it in that state!

Thank you for any advice in advance

Sponsored Links
If the upstand is glued to the wall, and the worktop is resting on the kitchen units, perhaps the units have sunk, e.g. by the feet sinking into the floor. This is especially likely if the floor is chipboard (which is rubbish) and even more likely if it has got damp. Many people do not tile or laminate under the units so the chipboard is left bare.

Granite is rather heavy so it might be difficult to jack it up by twisting the legs on the kitchen units (they usually have a screw construction allowing you to wind them up and down) but it may be worth a try. You would have to winch them all up a bit at a time to keep the worktop level. It does not matter if it slopes down a tiny bit towards the front, this will encourage spills to run off, and not go behind the units.

Experiment with the legs on your smallest unit with the shortest piece of worktop on it. This is often next to the cooker.

If the upstand is glued to the wall, and the worktop is resting on the kitchen units, perhaps the units have sunk, e.g. by the feet sinking into the floor. This is especially likely if the floor is chipboard (which is rubbish) and even more likely if it has got damp. Many people do not tile or laminate under the units so the chipboard is left bare.

Granite is rather heavy so it might be difficult to jack it up by twisting the legs on the kitchen units (they usually have a screw construction allowing you to wind them up and down) but it may be worth a try. You would have to winch them all up a bit at a time to keep the worktop level. It does not matter if it slopes down a tiny bit towards the front, this will encourage spills to run off, and not go behind the units.

Experiment with the legs on your smallest unit with the shortest piece of worktop on it. This is often next to the cooker.
If I read it right there is a horizontal gap between the work surface and upstand rather than a vertical gap between the top of the work surface to the bottom of the upstand? It'd be a good idea to check the level on the work top before you start adjusting the leg height on the units.

If it's level then has the unit been pulled out? If not then the quickest fix I can think of is to use some appropriately coloured edging/beading strip glued in with something like a clear grab adhesive/sealant http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=adhesive+sealant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back