Kitchen Wall plaster Blown/Patchy Repair advice please

rvp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I am after some pointers on how to sort my wall out in readiness for re decorating.

On pulling off the old wallpaper it has took of the plaster and basically left it in a tatty state.

Pic here of main area of damage

View media item 73394
I was thinking about going about it this way.

1. Remove all loose debris.
2. Pva area.
3. Hardwall area.
4. Skim with Thistle Multi-Finish.

What do you guys think? any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the depth of the damage. Skimming won't hold for long on just pva. A proper job would entail removing enough to allow your bonding plaster to give a good key, so take off 5mm , add bonding of at least 5mm, then a 3mm skim.

• Thanks
Reactions: rvp
Depends on the depth of the damage. Skimming won't hold for long on just pva. A proper job would entail removing enough to allow your bonding plaster to give a good key, so take off 5mm , add bonding of at least 5mm, then a 3mm skim.

Hi Jimbo, thanks for that.

Depth of damage is around 2-3mm I'd say, off to the local DIY store today to buy the products so I want to get the correct gear for the job.

I just thought, what bonding plaster should I use - any? and should I forget about using Hardwall now?

Thistle bonding and thistle multifinish. I'd make sure I remove all the blown plaster to 8mm (will be dusty). Then apply your bonding allowing a thin skim. Then skim. Bonding needs to set before applying the skim. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
For my money, if you are going to remove plaster or render then you take it back to brick.

Chipping and scrabbling away to obtain an 8mm key would be time consuming, and perhaps introduce further damage to the left on the wall backing plaster.

The wall in the pic is an external wall, and repairs have previously been carried out, or attempted.

Dampness might be present, dont use PVA on a damp surface, some wont use it on any solid external wall- is the reveal angle bead rusty at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back