Kitchen Wall units sagging.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a couple of 1000mm wall units that are sagging in the middle. They're "basic" B&Q carcasses. I wouldn't say they're lightly loaded but they're not exactly stuffed full of tins either. It's causing a problem now, as I'm creating a false wall along the top of the units to hide wiring and extractor ducting.

I'd say part of the problem is the design of the things. The cupboards are supported by fixings to the top/sides. However, there is no rear support or bracing post to transfer the weight of the contents to the wall. Worse, the front post acts as a 5th shelf support, adding to they're ability to sag.

I'm considering what is needed to beef them up so they are far less likely to sag. A support at the back of the cabinet would seem to be a good place to start, as would a top brace along the top/back.

Though I have some ideas, I'm a little undecided as to how to proceed. If anyone's encountered and fixed this sort of problem before, I'd welcome your input. Overkill would probably be a "T" brace with added diagonals forming an inverted A frame.

J.

Sponsored Links
I can't understand why kitchen unit manufacturers continue to make 1000mm wall units. They all sag after time. Much better to remove them and replace with 2x 500mm units (if possible)

either as JJ has said or make sure you drill/plug/screw through the centre bar,as i do.

Sponsored Links
Foxhole, I hadn't thought of replacing the backs. Will have to give that some thought.

JJ, replacing with 2x 500s is probably the most reliable solution.

Gregers, there is no centre bar. Or at least, no centre bar on the back of the units. Only a post at the front where the doors come together.

Thx all for the suggestions.

J.

Current solution.

I'd made MDF faced frames to sit above the cupboards, forming my false wall. I've screwed the top/front of the cupboards into the bottom rail of these frames, pulling out the droop.

Fingers crossed that it lasts.

J.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back