kitchen waste advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning a new kitchen and things are going to be moving from their old positions.

The 1.5 bowl sink and dishwasher are going to be on a peninsular so I'm planning on running the waste down to the cellar below which will then run to the washing machine which is in the cellar before leaving the sice of the building into a gully type drain.

The total run from the sink to leaving the house will be about 4 metre. Do I need to fit air admittance valves or anti syphon traps on the sink/dishwasher?

I've had a look for a sink waste kit that has an anti syphon trap but mcalpine don't seem to do one.

Cheers

Rob

Sponsored Links
Anti syphon traps work in the same way as air admitance valves and 4m is a long run for 40mm wast plpe.
You could increase the sise of pipe in the seller to 50mm or put an anti syphon trap under the sink if you can get one.
The other option is to fit a 40mm air admitance valv in the seller between the sink and washing machene and as close to the sink end of the run as posible to prevent any back flow from giong up the air admitance valve
There is a chance that both fixtues will discharge water at the same time and the problem will be at the washing machene end as this is were water from both meet. Useing swept bends rather than tite bends will also reduce the risk of syphonage

I would run a max of 3m in 40mm, use anti vac traps on the sink(s), after the first 3m upsize to 50mm. I would be wary on joining the washing machine into this run at a lower level, it really needs a dedicated waste to outside. Should the waste block past the washing machine connection, and then the sink or dishwasher discharge upstairs you are either going to get a flood, backflow into the washing machine or if unnoticed, possibly both.....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back