kitchen waste bits....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we keep getting a few pongy whiffs coming from the sink drains, I've attached a pic of the waste pipes underneath, its a bit busy as u will see, i take it if I remove the 2 U bends, make sure there's no blockages try n clean all the other pipes best I can then replace the u bends?
we've tried using caustic soda and other liquidy stuff down the drains, but after a day or two it comes back.
IMAGE_108.jpg (410 KB)
any help appreciated really...

Sponsored Links
The culprit is quite often the overflow connection at the top of the right hand waste in your photo, heading left and upwards, usually ending at the overflow grille.

As there's little water flowing through them, except for a gentle soaking occasionally that just keep things nice and moist, overflows are an excellent breeding ground for the nasties that can lodge in the corrugations of the pipe and cause pongs, with little chance of them getting regularly washed away like the water in the trap does.

A drop of bleach down the overflow grille as part of your usual cleaning routine is usually enough to keep them in check.

Sponsored Links
All looks nice and neat under your sink, :D

But, one big mistake, which is probably causing your problem. :eek:

your washing machine hose is incorrect,

Starting at the w/m the hose should rise as high as possible to underside of worktop then drop down to connection to waste trap with out going lower than the waste connection.

As it is at the moment when you empty your sink some of that grotty water from washing up ends up in your washing machine :cry:

do 2 or 3 hot washes (with empty machine) to clean it out along with the waste hose, then rearange hose as above.

With the hose as it is if the sink waste blocks the water from the sink will run on to the floor from the W/M door.

carry out the above and pongs should disapear.

David.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back