Kitchen wiring - location of appliance FCU’s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I’m refitting my kitchen and planning the wiring at the moment.

I’m looking for some advice about the location of appliance FCU’s and the cooker switch.

Can anyone shed any light on whether any of these be sited out of direct view in say a cupboard, or do the regulations require that they are clearly visible and fixed above or near the appliance?

Many thanks

Spokeshave

Sponsored Links
I'm not fully up to date with the current regs but in the past I have usually mounted the fcu's on the wall in an adjacent cupboard to the appliance. That way you can get to the fcu to change a fuse or disconnect without wrestling with the appliance. If the applicance is a washing machine or fridge etc, be careful about removing the moulded plug, this can often invalidate a warranty or service agreement.

Thanks nstreet.

This had occurred to me but I was unsure whether placing an fcu out of sight was good practice and up to the regs.

A further refinement which was suggested to me was to connect the fcu to a single socket (rather than a flex outlet plate) fixed to the rear wall behind the appliance – this would help out with the guarantee problem you mentioned and would make removal of the appliance a cinch.

How about the cooker switch? Can this also be stuck in a cupboard and linked to the cooker via a cooker outlet plate.

Thanks

Spokeshave

its one of those slightly grey areas in the regs but its certainly NOT best practice to hide switches in cupboards. The whole point of having them is so you can cut power if there is a problem, do you really wan't to have to empty out cupboards first?

Sponsored Links
Thanks plugwash.

The number of visible fcu’s is bound to increase with the number of fixed appliances in the kitchen increasing and I don’t particularly want to see rows of fcu’s unless it’s really necessary.

I was trying to establish the principle, and of course the detail in the final design would allow for easy access to isolate any of the appliances in an emergency.

Thanks

Spokeshave

Spokeshave said:
The number of visible fcu’s is bound to increase with the number of fixed appliances in the kitchen increasing and I don’t particularly want to see rows of fcu’s unless it’s really necessary.

use a grid switch if the appliances are in close proximity. Will look neater, but much more expensive.

Spokeshave said:
A further refinement which was suggested to me was to connect the fcu to a single socket (rather than a flex outlet plate) fixed to the rear wall behind the appliance – this would help out with the guarantee problem you mentioned and would make removal of the appliance a cinch.
But then you'd have 2 fuses, one in the FCU and one in the plug, and discrimination issues....

The way to go is grid plate with switch and fuse modules supplying 15A round-pin sockets with unfused plugs on the appliances. Make up a short lead with 15A trailing socket and 13A plug for when the service man calls

How about the cooker switch? Can this also be stuck in a cupboard and linked to the cooker via a cooker outlet plate.
No.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back