Kitchen worktop filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a wooden kitchen worktop and wooden splashback supposedly professionally fitted. But they applied the sealant (Apollo) to the work surfaces before running a bead of clear mastic around the joint between horizontal and vertical surfaces. (Even I wondered about the wisdom of that sequence). Of course the beading didn't stay stuck and they redid it. It stuck for a bit longer but has come unstuck again.

Any suggestions for how to fill the crack permanently, in a waterproof way ? I've not taken all the mastic off but my recollection is that the gap is mostly quite narrow, a mil or so.

Thank in anticipation,

Peter

Sponsored Links
Sealant should be applied before upstand is installed.Pointless afterwards.

You may actually need more than a mill to get the joint to work properly. As wooden worktops will expand and contract with the weather and humidity, they will slide underneath the upstands, so if it's sealed too tightly, the seal will break. I don't tend to seal upstands, but you have to be disciplined to clean off water by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I had thought of those. The best I can think of is either beeswax or dubbin - waterproof, flexible and non-cracking. Any better ideas ?

Sponsored Links
No, I'd just make sure the upstand is pushed as tightly as possible down on the worktop. If the beeswax and the dubbin were to get worn away with the worktop slinding underneath, then you'd eventually lose it, but couldn't replace it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back